Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Personal Story

Spartan Race Memorial Day Exclusive Offer!






I was asked by ACE/ American Council on Exercise to share my personal fitness story. I've decided to share it with you.

I've always been interested in sports, never looked at it as fitness until I was no longer. Since childhood I enjoyed conditioning and challenging my body to that of an athlete, because I was.

Until one tragic night, 10 years ago, when I was a victim of a senseless act of violence. This left me without the use of my left leg. I was told by countless doctors that I would never walk again without the aid of some type of assistance, i.e; cane, walker, crutches, etc...

Needless to say, I was devastated! I was an athlete, that is my gift, my passion! Losing the use of my leg was like a musician losing fingers! The physical, mental and emotional pain grew. The depression grew, the weight added. I never accepted the diagnosis that I would never walk again. However, I didn't see athleticism in my future.

One day, something in me reignited and I wanted ME back. So, I started to try and get back in the gym. I would need a book to tell you about all of the pain and surgeries and reconstruction. All of the emotional healing I have and am still dealing with.

It has been a long and grueling challenge and I am STILL on that journey of recovery. I have made tremendous strides along the way. I am a Zumba Instructor, and ACE Certified Group Fitness Instructor and will run my first 5k race in June. I am still very much overweight and I don't let anything stop me!

I am proof that it is never too late or too soon to get fit! NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Facebook
Echa Pa'lante Travel
Spartan Race Memorial Day Exclusive Offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment